Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Discovering Southern India


Southern India
Dates Visited:Oct. 31 to Nov. 9 2012

I began my visit to India in Mumbai, colorful and rich with historical culture and influenced by the Portuguese. I drove through the charming narrow lanes visiting art galleries along the way. My hotel held amazing views of the Mumbai skyline. I broke away and enjoyed walks through Bandra where the renown Bollywood film industry resides.
I continued to Hyderabad, approximately 430 miles southeast of Mumbai. I arrived after a short plane ride to this new tech city. Microsoft, Google and many more Fortune 500 companies now have offices here. Hyderabad is where Mughal India meets South India, where in architecture, culture and cuisine, both influences merge to create a unique Hyderabad flavor. It is a city of contrasts much like India itself.

In Hyderabad, I stayed in the amazing Taj Falaknuma Palace. Built by an Italian architect for one of the Nawabs of Hyderbad. The palace is shaped like a scorpion’s tail, with curved wings for the zenana’s (women). This palace was able to accommodate over 5,000 women! Being in the palace you are exposed to the beauty of colorful blooming flowers that surround you with an intoxicating perfume.

From Hyderbad I traveled to Bangalor. It has the reputation of being India’s garden city. It is also India’s 3rd most populous city. It is home to many well recognized colleges and research institutions. It is also known as the Silicon Valley of India for its position as the nation’s leading IT city. From Bangalor we drove 4 hours to the historic city of Mysore, noted for the maharajas (India’s Mogul’s). Mysore is famous for its traditional paintings in silk, sandlewood and its incense production. It is most noted as the international center for Ashtanga Yoga. Many visit this city for this yoga experience. I continued through to our next destination…

I continued to Madikeri in the Coorg District of Karnataka. I stayed in the newest Taj property: Taj Madikeri. Here I enjoyed the beauty of the land and took hikes in the lush rainforests that surrounds the property. I was able to establish a connection with spirituality, rising to meet the sun with a yoga lesson. I also interacted with nature by hiking the beautiful lush trails.

Southern India is a perfect mixture of colorful people, beautiful surroundings and exotic adventures. Ask me about Southern India and the beautiful Taj palaces that I visited.

Learning how to dance Bollywood style.


Beautiful views of the ocean.


The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai


A flute player at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai


At the Market


This is a holy place where ashes of deceased loved ones are scattered into the river.


Hiking in Madikeri with Leech Protector socks.


Hiking the rainforest in Madikeri


Creating your individual essence at the market.




Learning how to cook southern Indian cuisine. 





No comments:

Post a Comment